Welcome to my J.A.M. (Just Ask Mike) Session , a weekly column where I answer your basic electrical questions. If you’re a newbie who’s never plugged in a shore power cord (or ask – what’s a shore power cord?), or wonder why your daughter’s hair dryer keeps tripping the circuit breaker, this column is for you. Send your questions to Mike Sokol at mike (at) noshockzone.org with the subject line – JAM. I need your assistance If you didn’t participate in this poll (from Saturday) previously, would you please vote now to help me gather information for a research project I’m working on (possible correlation between the GFCI and potential hot-skin condition) aimed at RVers’ safety. It may take a moment for the poll to load. Thank you! Dear Readers, I’ve received a number of emails and Facebook comments this week about 30-amp RV extension cord plugs overheating and melting. Now, these particular failures aren’t where the shore power cordset is plugged into the pedestal or the RV itself. These meltdowns seem to occur where a 25-ft. extension cord is plugged into the RV’s shore power cordset. And, yes, many times it’s the connector that’s laying on the ground. But it worked just fine for the last year… Well, oxidation (corrosion) on most all metals occurs from a combination of oxygen and moisture, so having your 30- or 50-amp shore power cord hooked to an extension cord laying on the ground is asking for trouble. Now, it might work […]