www.rvtravel.com

Dear Readers, A few days ago this message showed up on my Facebook RVelectricity Group about getting shocked while touching the RV and standing on the wet ground. Don’t click on above to “See More” – it won’t do anything. Within minutes there were a number of incorrect (and potentially dangerous) suggestions as to what might be causing it and how to fix it. No, reversed hot and neutral conductor will not cause a hot-skin if the RV is wired correctly. No, a bad electric water heater element will not cause a hot-skin voltage if your RV’s ground wire is intact and connected to a properly bonded outlet. And no, a ground rod will definitely NOT ground your RV. I immediately shut down all comments and asked the poster to contact me directly. It did take us a little sleuthing to find the problem, but I thought this would make a great tutorial on how hot-skin voltages occur and what to do to fix them. How it all begin My interest in hot-skin voltage goes back to before I began writing for the RV industry when a pro-sound colleague of mine asked me why he was feeling a shock when touching the million-dollar tour bus of some rock star he was working for. A Google search connected me with Gary Bunzer, the RV Doctor, who then went on to explain to me the RV industry standards for hot-skin voltage testing on Recreational Vehicles. After a deep-think I figured out […]